Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Story of an Unforgettable Day

We were asked to write and share about the most unforgettable day of our lives in a writing forum.  Not the most, but one of the "most unforgettable days" of my life came to mind.  But then, once it came, no other day seems to surpass it in un-forgettability.  I can’t even think of any other day.  So I am going to take Rumi’s words to heart “Run from what’s comfortable.  Forget safety.  Live where you fear to live.  Destroy your reputation.  Be notorious.” and go forth. 

Remembering this day of my life is a bittersweet experience for me.  Most people would recall their wedding day with joy and nostalgia.  Even those who are separated or divorced may still have fond memories of this particular day and hark back to it with a smile.  I however remember it with huge lumps of regret.  Of course there is much nostalgia around many aspects of it, one being my great grandmother (who is so much a part of me, in me). There is a deeper joy in some sense – this is the ‘sweet’ in the bittersweetness of the experience, which comes out of the present reality and strength of the relationship.  But remembering that particular day is an exercise of pain and regret.

Imagine a young man of 27 years and a young woman of 24 years, in love and about to get married.

Imagine a man, giving and caring, looking out for every need of his partner. He is so taken, that during the Kasi Yatra ceremony, said, “Look, hurry up and take me to the girl, will you? I don’t want to go to Kasi!”  (For the uninitiated, the Kasi Yatra is one of the traditional rituals, especially in a Brahmin wedding ceremony.  The story goes that in the “olden days” Brahmin boys go away to their Guru’s house at a very young age, to stay and study the Vedas and scriptures.  This would typically be in Benares (Kasi).  So the brother of the girl promised to him, would approach the boy and ask him to stay back and marry the girl and they would ‘take care’ of him, and to not go to Kasi now.  Perhaps they undertake to sponsor him, but I am not sure about this part.)  But here was a man, refusing to take the few ritualistic steps in the direction of Kasi in order to be called back to wed.  Instead, he kept turning towards the stage saying “But I don’t want to go to Kasi. Enough already!”

I was recounted this later.  The girl is at this point usually putting on her all her armour and war-paint to welcome her groom and look suitably inviting while doing so.  So imagine a woman now, who refused to wear 99% of the war-paint, refused to put on more than basic wedding gear (definitely no silk which is the traditional thing to do), and said, “I am inviting as I am to my groom. I don’t need any of this.” Imagine her confidence in him.  And it all sounds really noble and courageous, right?  It would to the environmentalists, and the naturalists and the minimalists.  Or they would at the very least, they might say, “Good. That’s the way to go.” 


Oh, Woe! Imagine now, how you would feel if you take down the wedding album to pass a rainy day or show your daughter how it all happened, and the first things that jump out at you is how sweat is pouring down your face and neck, and you look absolutely ragged and nothing like a fresh and glowing bride that you have seen in many wedding albums.  It seems that one’s friends, sister, and miscellaneous well-wishers were right.  It’s the time of eating crow.  “It’s just one day. A few hours.  Wear some make-up, you will be sitting in front of that fire. Some of this gloop will keep your face from pouring out…”  All entreaties were in vain.  And perhaps, you will call me vain to be thinking of my appearance when deeper stuff about the day should be moving me.  I would have called me vain.  At that time.  Not today.  Even if I did momentarily, all I have to do is take a look at the photos, to recognise that appropriateness is the key word that determines many things.  Sigh!

Imagine now, many of the in-laws looking at this girl that their boy has chosen and wanting to get to know her.  Imagine her trepidation at feeling like being evaluated by strangers and having to accept them as family.  And imagine her out-lawing them in all parts of her head.  And this playing out right there.  The sister-in-law (one of them) might or might not remember but the girl remembers, that when the former came forward to help her with an intricate drape of the sari (the 9-yards drape), she was snubbed by the latter.  If first impressions make lasting ones, then Ouch! Especially when now, imagine that it turns out that the sister-in-law is not only actually human but someone to be admired.  For many things including her parenting and her smart ways and her unique idiom.  Imagine that she seems to have gotten over being outlawed initially and comes forward with affection and dignity.  Double Ouch!

Imagine then, a young woman so threatened and so much in guard that there she stood (or sat), swords unsheathed, ready to attack anyone who came near her fort.  Imagine her baring- oops, smiling at unsuspecting guests who came to greet / congratulate the happy couple.  Happy couple?!

Imagine his consternation and concern, and his efforts to right his tilted universe (for she had been that).  Imagine her perceiving a boyfriend as suddenly become a part of an outlaw family completely alien to her, calling her to join the alienness.  Especially when now, there can be no one less alien to her, than him (except herself).  Another Ouch! is in order.

And so the day passed, as all things must, and do.  An unforgettable day of my life, when I made an utter cake of myself. 
------------------------------------------------------------



PS – I celebrate my marriage to this boy every single day now, however, another wedding day is very welcome.  With war-paint.  What say you, husband?  (Ummm, maybe minus the war-paint).

No comments:

Post a Comment